Death: What awaits us?

February 15, 2007

The Modesty Survey: Young Christian Men plead for modesty from Christian girls

  • Details here
    (from the Rebelution Website of Alex and Brett Harris)

    Sample comments:
    How do you feel about girls who purposely flaunt their bodies?

    Text Responses

    Age 22
    The way a woman conducts herself externally is one of the few glimpses of what is in her heart. If she acts like the world externally, then it begs to question how much she is longing for this world in her heart.


    Age 23
    It is hard for me to respect them. I love them, and pray that God might save them, if they are lost, and sanctify those whom He has called, but I do have a sense of dislike toward them because of how hard they make life for me. Our lives are to be lived in a way that glorifies God, that is in no way glorifying Him or making me better able to glorify Him.

    Age 21
    Ladies, this is where you can get confused. Many women would think guys are 'all about' women who flaunt their bodies. I am here to attempt to speak for us Christian men fighting the fight for purity. Women like this disgust and frustrate me. They take advantage of something that God intended to be beautiful. They lure men away from that which they truly love. They make men like me fight and struggle, and cause many to fall. THESE WOMEN SHOULD NOT BE ADORED OR FOLLOWED! Christian sisters, please do not think that this attention is anything more than a result of short-sighted shallow men who are sexually frustrated and unwilling to follow God's plan for sex. To me, women who flaunt their bodies make me turn my head, repulsed, and pray that God would guard my heart, eyes, and mind, and that somehow He would show them His infinite love, and that they don't need to act in this way to be loved.


    Age 22
    Saddened; disappointed; sometimes angered. They're distracting good men, dishonoring God and marriage, and offering themselves cheaply--which makes me desire even more strongly a girl who is modest, who is valuable. I would be disingenuous if I didn't concede that these kinds of girls are a temptation. But I always remind myself that if a girl flaunts herself before I marry her, she'll do the same thing afterward. As a husband, that would make me pretty mad.What would make me happy is dedicating all my energy to loving a young woman who reserves herself for me.

    Age 40
    I believe that many of them understand that flaunting their bodies gives them power over men. I don't believe that they fully understand what they're playing with or how much it devalues them. I also believe that some girls have no understanding at all of the effect they are having on men.

    Age 19
    I find it terribly sad. The girls I have known who do this often do so in a sort of desperate attempt to get the attention of guys. Most often, the girls are desperate for some sort of emotional security. Yet they don't realize that they're catching flies and not men. Certainly there are some women who are just "looking for action," but it seems that in my experience, the majority of girls who dress provocatively do so because they want *someone* to care about them. They just think that is the only way to find someone. And so they are constantly disappointed because they find that the only guys they can attract are only drawn by what they can see -- a body.

    Age 35
    Yes, you can turn me on, but don't expect me to respect you. Yes, I might find you attractive on the outside, but that won't make me think of you as attractive on the inside. Sure you might get my attention, but it will be negative attention.Men are easily stimulated visually. It doesn't take rocket science to figure that out. But this leads to lust - not love.Love is a commitment. In order to get a commitment from a guy, he needs to perceive you as respectable and of immeasurable worth. Flaunting your body communicates that you don't have a lot of self-worth. God made women and by flaunting their bodies, they are insulting the creator and cheapening his invaluable creation.

    Age 14
    They make me wary and uncomfortable. The first thing I plan to consider in my wife (besides being a Christian) is whether she has pursued the battle for purity all her life.

    Age 17
    If a girl flaunts herself, it changes everything about what I think of her. To start with, I automatically assume she is not a Christian or is not taking her walk with Christ seriously (I might even try witnessing to her). If she is a Christian, I'll probably tell her that she is being a sexual distraction (much more gently, of course). If you flaunt yourself, you have the attention of lots of guys, but you instantly lose their respect and admiration. I would never consider courting a girl that advertises her body like a product.

    Age 28
    Makes me angry. Yet, I wonder if it's intentional or ignorant.

    Age 13
    They need someone to love them and compliment them so that they do not feel obligated to flaunt their beauty.

    Age 30
    I don't relate as freely with them, because I have to be so guarded. Conversations are usually more awkward, less humorous, less spontaneous and more hurried. I'm getting to the point and, generally, getting out of there.

    Age 16
    If they are doing it to attract mates then they are misguided.If they are doing it because their friends do it then they are conforming to the world.If they do it purposely to inspire and encourage lust then they are encouraging sin.The third option is, in my opinion, the most dangerous and sinful of the three.How does it make me feel? Insulted, and rather frustrated. Insulted that my (and other males') natural desires are considered to be so easily trifled with and frustrated that someone would so blatantly sin.

    Age 22
    I think that girls who flaunt their bodies are struggling with the concept of true beauty. In an attempt to get attention, they're playing games that will ultimately come back to hurt everyone involved. Through flaunting, they're showing their foolishness. What kind of a guy would be interested in a marriage with a loose girl? Flaunting is an immediate red flag to the guys that want to please the Lord. It might attract some guys, but they won't be interested in the girl, they're only thinking about her body.

    Age 17
    When a girl is flaunting her body, my opinion of her character lowers quite a bit. I get the strong impression that she does not respect the Biblical standards of modesty and purity, or the Biblical injunctions to avoid causing your brothers in Christ to sin.

    Age 21
    Two primary feelings. First, as a guy who struggles with lust I see her as a trap to stay away from, just to protect myself. Second, my opinion of her (and the people who hang out with her) drops, significantly. A final note would be an apology to all the girls who strive diligently and who are willing to pay the price of time and money to protect their brothers. (And themselves ultimately.) The apology is this: I don't value you enough. And at times this quiz has shown me that I hang out with girls who have dressed in a way that I have just deemed immodest. For this I am humbly apologetic before the ladies. This has served quite effectively as quite an educational tool for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment