Here are a few bits of information.
1. Chris Sligh is not a Mormon. He is a member of a liberal non denominational megachurch that practices charismanic. His pastor, Chris Surratt, is totally supportive of a career in Rock Music for Chris Sligh and claims to have helped Chris plan strategy. Surratt states in his 'church planting' blog, "I always knew that it was just a matter of time before [Chris Sligh] was "discovered", but this is freakin' ridiculous!"
2. Chris Sligh is the son of Chuck and Susan Sligh, Independent Baptist missionaries. (Not Southern Baptist.)
3. His grandfather was also an Independent Baptist preacher and his grandmother had a good testimony among the faithful.
4. He looks like his mother when his hair is long.

5. At one point Chris had short hair, and he looked more like his dad.

6. Chris Sligh is not a fan of fundamentalist Christians.
7. Chris Sligh is married. His wife is Sarah Sligh.

9. Strangely enough, Catholic members of Freerepublic are claiming that Chris Sligh's mother and father are members of a cult. Nothing could be further from the truth!!!!!
Other Chris Sligh articles can be found here.
Additional Rock music articles.
More rotten fruit from the tree of Rock and Roll
Rock Music and the High Levels of Suicide
HOW CHRISTIAN HOMES PRODUCE ROCK & ROLL REBELS
The Premature Death of Rock Stars by Dr. Terry Watkins
From Chris Sligh's blog
"At home, my parents had discovered the records of a Christian recording artist who called himself Patch the Pirate. Basically, Patch would record a batch of Christian songs and form a play around it, complete with dialogue and a batch of memorable characters. As a kid, I thought that Patch the Pirate was the coolest thing ever and I learned every word to every song, as well as most of the dialogue from the plays."(Chris Sligh)
NEW Chris Sligh information PRESS HERE
PATCH THE PIRATE TAPES Warning
Wow...I love how fundies get their proverbial undies in a twist over a former fundie doing something different. It actually makes me chuckle.
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure that you and I have ever met, and if so, then I apologize for not remembering you. Feel free to post anything you like from my blog. I think the story of God's grace in my life has been incredible...brining me from a very man-pleasing mentality that I see in this blog of yours to being free to serve Him and Him alone.
Peace and love,
Chris
Hi Chris, thanks for your comment. I would like to challenge you on one thing: You say that my blog has a "man pleasing mentality."
ReplyDeleteI beg to differ. I find that very few people like this blog or the news it reports.
That having been said, I would like to assure you that no one has their undies in a wad over you. :-)
But you are not serving God and God alone with Rock music.
You are only serving the god of this world.
And I can't help but believe that God didn't have better plans for you.
And no, we don't know each other, but I am praying for you.
It's nice of you to think of me and pray for me, but I think your prayers, honestly, are better suited for someone who needs prayers in the condescending way you offer them.
ReplyDeleteComing from a very conservative fundamentalist background, I know all the pratfalls and pitfalls of the thinking I see throughout the blog. Sorry, but the gig is up...I saw through it a long time ago. And so are more and more fundie kids, b/c the doctrine and belief system you wrap your 'christianity' around becomes more about holding yourself up as holy (usually by pointing out the 'sins' you see in others) instead of seeking holiness. Sorry, but the Pharisee's time in my life is past. Grace is in now.
I assume that you read some of my blogs to see some of where I am coming from. Nearly every post speaks of God's grace in my life and how He has lead me on this road. Your ignorance concerning the secular music industry by saying something like: "But you are not serving God and God alone with Rock music. You are only serving the god of this world," only shows you that you came to conclusions first then attempted to find proof to back it up.
There is ability to serve God with anything we do, including eating and drinking. There is also the ability to displease God with anything we do, including eating and drinking. Rock music is ABSOLUTELY no different. The fact that you hold it to a different standard shows that your view of Scripture is incredibly limited, faulty, and ultimately ungodly.
When a lawyer or an accountant rises to prominence in what he does, we as Christians congratulate him and pat him on the back. If the man is a man of God, then being a "star" is meaningless...he is simply doing his job well. Music is no different. The reason I have pity on you for having a problem with the distinction between a rock star and a Christ-follower is b/c life was meant for so much more joy than what you and people like you seem to show and feel.
Anyway, I hope that all is well. My life is wonderful, serving the Lord as best I know how.
Peace & love,
Chris
Christ, you are barking up the wrong tree when you try and convince me that rock and roll music is of the Lord Jesus Christ. I am years older than you and I LIVED for rock music for many years. I KNOW first hand what the music is and what it does.
ReplyDeleteIt does not honor God, it does not honor the vows you made with your sweet wife and it will take every thing you hold dear and leave you misreable and alone.
And I do not for one minute hold myself up as any kind of paragon of virtue. ONLY Christ can hold that position.
My intention was not to insult you or degrade you. I believe you are a wonderfully talented person. And if you are saved, running after the garbage of the world will never satisfy you.
The reason I posted the information about you was because you are a living walking example of several things that I know to be true.
Maybe other parents will see what can happen when they allow children to flirt with Satan's music.
It always ends up bad.
My prayers for you were not offered in any kind of pharasical attitude. Before you ever put the first reply on this blog I had prayed for you, and your wife.
I prayed because I was concerned.
That really shouldn't offend you so much.
Full Court,
ReplyDeleteMy words were not meant to convince you because your beliefs, though different than mine, will not be changed, and that's okay. What I do have a problem with is that you would assign sin to something that is biblically not sin.
Also, only those who do not have a provable point resort to using the "I'm older than you, so I know more than you" line.
Also, I will ask you to kindly keep my relationship with my wife out of any discussion...that was a low blow and you should be ashamed of yourself. You don't know ANYTHING about our relationship and how supportive and happy she is through my ability to offer Christ to those in the secular industry. Again, only those who have no provable point goes for a low blow of questioning the relationship with my wife.
To those who may read this: God is bigger than what you see in these pages. Love is bigger than this.
Peace & love,
Chris
Chris, you are sadly mistaken if you believe your nasty attitude and your condescending comments will prove anything.
ReplyDeleteThat having been said, many people are still praying for you.
Full Court,
ReplyDeleteMy attitude, if anything has been graceful in light of the fact that you have questioned my faith, my relationship with Christ, and my relationship with my wife without cause.
And to speak of condescension? Sir, as you read back through your comments, let me point out that you were the one who spoke to me as if I were a child, and as if I knew nothing of the world. That in itself is the very definition of condescension.
As I have said before (which would fly in the face of being condescending), you can disagree with my philosophy of ministry or perhaps some of my choices that you may or may not agree with that. That is okay. But to assign sin to something that is not biblically sin is sinful in and of itself.
With that said, there are many people praying for you and people like you.
Chris
Thanks for your comments Chris.
ReplyDelete1. I am not a sir.
2. YOU ASSUME and make statements that are not true, i.e., claiming that I don't have a point simply because I say I am older than you.
I have a point to make because of what I KNOW TO BE TRUE ABOUT ROCK AND ROLL, because I lived for it for many years.
YOU can not marginalize what I KNOW TO BE FACT by making snide comments.
Take care,