Death: What awaits us?

May 5, 2007

"Why I Left the Roman Catholic Church"

Author's note: Growing up on the south side of St. Louis, I was a part of the St. Pius V Roman Catholic parish on Grand Avenue. I received my confirmation and first holy communion in the mid-1960's and attended the grade school on Utah street. It was in this parish that I made my first confession and penance. My knowledge of the Catholic faith, its sacraments, and dogmas were first revealed to me in grade school.

* * * * *

By the time I reached junior high school, I was having a real problem with sin. Being Roman Catholic, I would attend confession, do penance and then before much time had elapsed, sin again. I really wanted to be good and the thought of going to Hell, or at best, purgatory really bothered me. I remember lying awake at night wondering if I were really a Christian or not, worried I might go to Hell or purgatory if I died during the night. I recalled hearing the priest call the people of our parish "Christians". When I heard that during mass, I leaned over and asked my mother, "Am I a Christian? Is that what I am?"..........snip, please follow link.

No comments:

Post a Comment